The Roswell Visitors Center offers a self-guided tour booklet of
Roswell's Historic District and a Civil War brochure highlighting
events and sites.
For those who revel in history, Roswell’s Historic District offers 640 acres of vintage homes, historic sites, museums, monuments, churches and cemeteries, with 122 acres of area listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
1 Chattahoochee Nature
The Nature Center offers woodland trails, marsh boardwalk, exhibits, wildflower gardens and native wildlife. A nature lover’s paradise.
2 Laurel/Ivy Mill
These remains are located on Big Creek near its confluence with the Chattahoochee River. The woolen mill was burned by federal troops in 1864, during the Atlanta Campaign. Women operatives of the mill were sent north after Roswell’s capture so that their skills would not benefit the Confederacy. The mill stood from about 1855 until 1864 and then was rebuilt
3 Chattahoochee River
Roswell founders had to cross the river in carriages, wagons and on horseback. Confederate soldiers burned the bridge to slow the Union’s advancement on Atlanta.
4 Allenbrook (c. 1857)
Built as the residence and office for the manager of Ivy Woolen Mill. He hoisted a French flag in an effort to save the mills and his home during the Civil War. Union troops destroyed the mills, but left the house.
5 Lover’s Rock
This rock shelter is a scenic and cultural resource similar to others found along the Chattahoochee and its tributaries. The shelters were used by Indian inhabitants of the area as living quarters. The site is located at the end of an old railroad cut (post Civil War).
6 Foster House
This house is located along South Atlanta Street. Architect Neel Reid (1885-1926) designed the front entrance of the house. H.I. Weaver remodeled the place in 1916. Reid was well known for houses in Atlanta and Macon. He designed the gardens at Mimosa Hall and designed and built the Brantley- Newton House on Mimosa Blvd.
7 Barrington Hall (c. 1842)
Built for Roswell King’s son, Barrington, the home took five years to construct. It has been described as one of metro Atlanta’s most beautiful homes and is recognized as one of the best examples of Greek Revival Temple Architecture in the United States. (open for tours)
8 Town Square (1839)
and Town Square Shops
Roswell King’s New England background is evident throughout the town and in particularly in its “Town Square” pattern. A commissary built across from the Square (original building still stands) was actually a general store that sold tonic, wine, sugar, sundries and most provisions, except liquor.
9 Dolvin House
The home of Emily Dolvin Visscher, President Jimmy Carter’s aunt. (private residence)
10 Bulloch Hall
Completed in 1839 for Major James Stephens Bulloch, this magnificent house was the childhood home of Mittie Bulloch. In December 1853, Mittie married Theodore Roosevelt in the dining room of Bulloch Hall. Little did those in attendance realize they were witnessing a union that would produce a U.S. President, Teddy Roosevelt. (open for tours)
11 Mimosa Hall
Originally built in 1842 and called “Dunwody Hall,” the structure was of wood but burned during its house-warming. It was rebuilt of brick covered with stucco and scored to resemble stone (completed in 1847). (private residence)
12 Holly Hill (1846)
Built in the raised cottage style as a summer home for Savannah cotton broker Robert Adams Lewis, whose wife was Roswell King’s niece. (private home)
13 Primrose Cottage
Built in 1839 as the first permanent home in Roswell. Now serves as an events facility.
14 Presbyterian Church
Completed in 1840, the church was used as a hospital for Union soldiers during the Civil War.
15 Great Oaks (1842)
Originally the residence of Rev. & Mrs. Nathaniel Pratt. Local clay was used for the bricks, which were hand-molded by slave labor. The Pratts remained in the house during the Civil War, even though Union Troops headquartered there and encamped on the lawns. (an events facility)
16 Teaching Museum North
Housed on the site of the original Academy, Roswell’s first school, featuring exhibits depicting the history of Roswell, the U.S. and Georgia. (open for tours)
17 Minhinnett House (c. 1850)
Frances Minhinnett, an English stonemason and landscape gardener who helped build many of Roswell’s early structures, built this small frame house on Mimosa Blvd. A rock foundation encloses the basement kitchen and its fireplace.
18 Brantley-Newton House
Designed by renowned architect Neel Reid when he was living in Roswell as owner of Mimosa Hall. (private residence)
19 Kimball Hall
Built in 1894. Currently used as a special events facility.
20 Site of “The Castle”
Originally called Labyrinth, Roswell King’s first Roswell residence site.
21 Heart of Roswell
Home to a variety of unique shops, stores, restaurants and art galleries.
22 Minton House
John Minton fought with General Andrew Jackson and Davy Crockett on the Georgia frontier. When the War Between the States began, he once more offered his services. During the first battle he was injured and sent home. (currently offices)
23 Goulding House (1857)
Home to Dr. Francis R. Goulding, minister, author and inventor. In 1842, he invented a sewing machine but never had the machine patented. (private residence)
24 Founders Hall (1873)
Originally owned by Roswell’s first veterinarian; now an events facility.
25 Naylor Hall
Original house on this site was reportedly built for H.W. Proudfoot who served as mill manager. Today it serves as a special events facility.
26 Perry House (1880)
Home to one of Roswell’s early merchants and the developer of the north end of town. A reconstructed log structure moved to the property now serves as law offices.
27 Old Roswell Cemetery
Originally the Methodist Church Cemetery.
28 Old Methodist Church
Became the Masonic Hall in 1952.
29 Roswell Fire Museum
Here you may observe antique alarms and bells, and other items showing the evolution of Roswell’s Volunteer Fire Department.
30 Smith Plantation
Completed in 1845, the Smith Home has original out-buildings, period furnishings and a Parson’s room. A wonderful example of a well-to-do family farm in early Roswell. (open for tours)
31 Roswell Cultural
Site of numerous plays, performances and community events. Roswell Historical Society/ City of Roswell Research Library and Archives is located on the 2nd floor.
32 Roswell Municipal Complex & Vietnam War Memorial –“The Faces of War”
33 Presbyterian Church
Many of Roswell’s most outstanding citizens are buried here, including Archibald Smith and his wife Anne Margaret McGill Smith.
34 Oxbo Bridge
Oxbo Bridge Leads to the Old Mill Ruins and the Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area trails.
35 Historic Roswell
Convention & Visitors Bureau
Across from the Town Square, the Visitors Center offers an enjoyable video of the area, historical exhibits and information about what to do and see.
36 Site of the Old Bricks
Built for the employees of the Roswell Mill, “The Bricks” were among the oldest apartments in the United States. Used as a hospital for Union troops during the Civil War. (Private homes)
37 Lost Mill Workers of
Located in Sloan Street Park, the monument is dedicated to the 400 women and children who were charged with treason and sent north during the Civil War when the Union Army occupied Roswell. Their fates remain a mystery.
38 Founders Cemetery
Contains the graves of some of Roswell’s founding families, including Roswell King, James Bulloch, and John Dunwody. Unmarked graves are those of the family servants.
39 Roswell Mill
The first mill in Roswell was fully operative by 1839. During the Civil War, the Roswell Mills were leading manufacturers of materials used for the Confederacy. The mill standing today was built in 1882. It has been restored as offices.
40 Vickery Creek Covered
This bridge was constructed in 2004 to connect Old Mill Park and the Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area, just across the creek. The National Park property contains Allenbrook, an antebellum home constructed between 1845-1857. Entrance to the dam and old mill ruins can be accessed from this area.
41 Machine Shop
The 1853 Machine Shop is the only extant building left of the original 1839 Roswell Manufacturing Company. The building is a two story brick building and is late Georgian in style. The trail to the left of the Machine Shop will lead to the old mill ruins and the dam.
42 Old Mill Ruins
View the mill ruins and enjoy the interpretive signage along the trail. (Wear proper hiking shoes and access this area near the Vickery Creek Covered Pedestrian Bridge - you will go to the left just before reaching the bridge itself.)
43 Vickery Creek & Dam
A 30-foot dam and millrace were constructed on Vickery Creek in the mid-to-late 1830s to supply power for the mills. (Wear proper hiking shoes and access this area near the Vickery Creek Covered Pedestrian Bridge - you will go to the left just before reaching the bridge itself.)